homemade peppermint patties


Hey everyone! It's the time of year where family, snow covered lawns and chilly nights are abound, where we retreat to our warm houses for some much needed homemade treats and steaming spicy hot chocolate to keep the cold at bay.
So I bring a sweet easy-to-do treat that you can send off with guests, use as stocking stuffers or set out on a tray and see them disappear. I don't know about you but when ever I see peppermint patties they instantly remind me of Christmas. I think it has to do with the fact that each year when we head over to my Grandma's house for Christmas dinner she puts these in our stocking where I find them somewhere squashed between the apple and orange.


recipe

400g icing sugar, plus more for dusting
1 tbsp of lemon juice
1 egg white
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
200g of chocolate (best you can find)

In a bowl beat the egg white with the lemon juice until it starts to foam, add the peppermint, sift in the icing sugar and combine. Once the mixture gets tough, bring together with your hands and need it a little on a surface dusted with icing sugar. You can roll out the dough and cut little rounds with a cookie cutter or you can shape by hand by rolling into a little ball placing it on a lined and dusted tray and pressing down with a fork and leave them to dry out (about 2-5hrs).
In a double broiler melt the chopped up chocolate. Dunk and cover each patty in the chocolate and let set on a lined baking sheet to dry.

Side note: If your not a fan of peppermint this mixture can easily be changed by just adding another extract. Almond or vanilla bean perhaps? You can even add a little food colouring a make the mixture green or red for a festive switch.
recipe adapted from jamie magazine.

Comments

Oh, Ash, these are delightful! And the photo is just adorable. Beautiful!
Ash said…
Thanks Patricia!!
I hope your enjoying the holidays!!
El said…
Perfect! I love the candy and the packaging. So sweet!
Rosy Outlook said…
Wonderful. Sweet pics. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
What a wonderful idea!!! Love it! :)
Wow! That's too easy! Who knew?! (Apparently you!)
apparentlyjessy said…
Yummo, I love peppermint patties, they look great in the red gift baggies too!
Rizwan said…
Splendid Job Ash....BTW I am copy pasting it on my Blog too ;)....and yeah, I loved the Taste, it was amazing.....sometimes while I try your recipes I thought, maybe I could share it with you.
I have a recipe just like this - aren't they wonderful? Perfect for Christmas.

Stop by my blog for more great recipe and baking tips from a Food Scientist!

Cheers! Christina.
www.form5artisan.blogspot.com
So much sweets. Kids would surely love it.
Jennie said…
These little patties look wonderful! I love the photo! Beautiful blog!
Quail said…
These look adorable and very easy to do by the sounds of it. After eights here we come!
becca said…
peppermint patties!
such incredible perfection.
how did you get them to look so uniform and nice?
Tash said…
Oh I adore! I put your photo on my blog, the patties and wrapping, it's too cute! You have a lovely blog :)
Anna @ IHOD said…
oh my gosh, I just fell head over heels!
Just found this via pinterest. Your blog is amazing!
Mrs. Stoyko said…
I will be making these this week... thanks for the inspiration!!
Jeanee said…
I LOVE peppermint patties. But I'm afraid to make them 'cause I just might eat them ALL!

Love the photos too ^.^
Anonymous said…
Lovely! This is a really fun recipe!
Jess said…
these would make an excellent valentine treat as well, could dye the inside pink!
Ash said…
Jesse: I totally agree! Pink and heart shaped maybe for valentines!
Anonymous said…
Can you change the grams into cups? I'm not sure how to measure in grams.
MarDee said…
Sounds great...BUT... I have absolutely NO IDEA what the measurements are. TOTALLY UNFAMILIAR WITH the "g" terminology.

Popular Posts