curd is the word


     Well hello everyone!  I've been busy yet again, but I just had to share the rhubarb scones and clementine curd recipes I promised and I just have to say that this is the ultimate curd of all curds.  It's got to be the sweet, tangy taste of clementines and we all mostly know them as the Christmasy citrus... I just wish I had found this recipe in time for Christmas morning!  

Jamie's Clementine Curd
makes about 850g
6 clementines
2 lemons
350 g caster sugar
4 eggs, beaten
2 egg yolks, beaten
100 g unsalted butter

Grate the fruit zest and squeeze the juice into a saucepan with the sugar, eggs and yolks, and mix to combine. Add the butter and place over a very low heat*. Cook, constantly stirring, until the curd is thick and coats the back of the spoon. Pour into sterilized jars, seal and refrigerate. Use within two weeks.   
*(I found it wasn't working to well with the 'very low heat', it could have just been my stove top, but I did increase the heat to medium.) ps. I've been eating this everyday! I'm officially hooked!

Rhubarb scones
250g rhubarb, trimmed and chopped
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup caster sugar, extra
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup single cream

Preheat the oven to 180 c (355 F).
Place the rhubarb, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl, mix and set aside.  Place the flour, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Gradually pour in the milk and cream and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Empty bowl out onto a floured surface, add the rhubarb mixture and knead gently until a smooth dough forms.  Place in a 8 in diameter lined cake tin and bake for 20-25 min. (can also be lightly rolled out and cut into squares with a cookie cutter.)  Makes 10
Recipe adapted from Donna Hay.


Comments

Anonymous said…
amazing post, amazing photos. you're incredibly talented. thanks so much for the rhubarb scone recipe -- cannot WAIT to try it out.

cheers and all the best in 2010,

*heather*
Clementine curd!! My boyfriend is gonna LOVE YOU for this :D
Lucy said…
This looks like the most delicious breakfast ever! I love the idea of clementine curd - genius.
Chef Chuck said…
I will pucker up for this one!!
What I love about curds is any where you apply it, you love it! Those heart cookies are very cool. Nice Photo's!
gine said…
those scones look delicious ^^. have a happy weekend, XOXO
Beautiful! I've never had rhubarb scones...what a creative use for it. And the curd...I definitely want to make it! When I posted my lemon curd a few weeks ago I could not stop myself from slathering that stuff on absolutely everything!
Valerie Gamine said…
I love lemon curd and I imagine that clementine curd is just as delicious!
Mmmm, clementime curd sounds so so good.
Both of these recipes sound like keepers. I live on clementines this time of the year and have bowls of them around the house. I also have 12 large rhubarb plants in my garden that will start producing in May. I will make the scones then!
El said…
These recipes look heavenly. Perfect for a mid-afternoon snack by the fire. The photos turned out great too!
Loving this....but you know I'm a curd softie.....and I especially love the sweet flavours of Clementines. As for those rhubarb scones, give me some time!!!!!!!!!!
Cherie said…
Oh, my! I could eat the whole jar in one sitting!
I agree with Cherie, I could also eat the whole jar!

Nice photos btw.
molly said…
mmmmm, curd! better than manna from heaven. lovely shots.
Aron said…
Yum! My wife and I made Meyer Lemon Curd as a guest present for our wedding. It was really great. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Popular Posts